Saturday 18 July 2009

Microlite and the City

So today I am faced with the possibility of having to run a session with zero prep, however given that this is the way I like to roll anyway I have no problem with that. If we do decide to do some roleplaying I'll probably crack out Microlite74 and start the players in generic city #16.

I've got a cool idea to run something steampunk/victorian using Microlite and some home-brew rules to turn it into a Microlite/Warhammer Quest/Jeff Rients mash-up. I'd be ruling in Jeff's rules for escaping the dungeon and WQ's rule that if you end up more than a certain distance away from your light source (defined as 2 boards away in WQ) you become lost in the dark and are never found again.

The other thing I'm doing is toning down Microlite's Hp values (From STR+1d6 back to either STR or 1d6) and reinstating Vancian Magic. This is partly because Vancian magic has been 'sold' to me in a way that Player's Handbooks failed to do over the years. In the past I found it to be a mechanic that seemed clumsy and annoying, with the context behind the mechanics (and some choice quotings from Vance's stories) I've gained a deeper appreciation for it.

Partly the reason for the Steampunk setting is that we've been considering trying to run Iron Kingdoms under Microlite and that has given me something of a taste. The other reason is that the park quite close to my parents did, at one point, have an old victorian greenhouse; a magnificent thing of iron and glass that was sadly vandalized over the years. However the memory remains, and has given me a rather tasty idea: consider if you will an arboretum infested with myconids and triffids! (and anything else plant related) That must be killed by the slaying of their hive mind through either brute force or razor sharp wit!

Well I think it's a good idea.

No comments: