Saturday 9 May 2009

Sunday Prep and Playing Roles

So another Sunday session of D&D is upon us and after the washout that was last week I’ve been spending some time with the players wish list I’ve come up with a suitable plan for getting everyone back into the swing of things.

Next up comes a site based adventure which is quite simple, it resorts to tried and tested techniques and will hopefully allow the players to do some of the roleplaying which has gone by the way side in recent sessions but was so prevalent in the first.

We’ve encountered this problem which I’m certain many other parties have encountered before where the role playing takes a back seat to combat mechanics and adventuring. This is especially jarring after the first session was so strong with this particular aspect. One could blame the players for not playing their characters but that’s unfair when they’ve been in the wilderness for weeks and have been given no opportunity to interact with creatures who didn’t instantly try to bite their faces off.

I’m fortuitous in this respect since I’ve been running World Top largely adlibbed and that means dungeons and the like only go on as long as I really want them to. It also allows me to drop things in at the last minute; such as the Malboro forest, which I only had a vague idea about before the session began; and then these adventures need only go on as long as the PC’s are interested. Since the Malboro forest was a bust this Sunday the party will be leaving it for Zendicon.
In other news with the Monster Manual II coming out soon we may soon be fighting a new swathe of nasties. Personally I’m hoping for a Paragon level Rust Monster or something that steals magic items so that I can get rid of the party’s annoying ‘Horns of Plenty’.

No comments: